Friday, October 19, 2012

CPR Training Benefits Everyone

CPR Training Benefits Everyone


    Nurse Alice Benjamin is a fellow You’re the Cure advocate for CPR training. She’d like to tell you why training more people in CPR is important to the heart health of everyone.

At work I see CPR save lives every day. But even before I became a nurse I realized that if I learned to administer CPR then I would be able to save a person’s life – whether my mother, neighbor or someone that I may encounter as I go about my day – if they went in to cardiac arrest.
Do you know the percentage of people in this country that survive a sudden cardiac arrest that occurs out of the hospital? In other words, if a person goes down in their workplace, on the street or in their home—what are their odds of surviving? Sadly, it is just under 8%. A huge part of what determines if they live or die is whether they receive bystander CPR - someone around, a stranger or a loved one, who is willing to begin CPR until emergency technicians arrive on the scene.
Urge your legislator to prepare more people to save a life by supporting legislation to train students in CPR. The more people trained in CPR in every community, the more likely someone will be prepared to step in and save a life.

You don’t have to be Nurse Alice to be a lifesaver. Many people feel helpless during cardiac emergencies due to insecurities about their CPR skills, but anyone can save a life, including you. In less than two minutes you can learn
Hands-Only CPR.

From one advocate to another,

Whitney Chamberlain
Grassroots Director

No comments:

Post a Comment